Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Toddler Yin and Yang




Amidst the moldy sippy cups, unidentifiable splotches on the carpet, between the tantrums and the moonlit cuddles, there can be balance. If we are able to breathe deeply and remember, in those excruciating moments that we have to scoop our almost-four year olds up and flee from the store as they threaten to say even more loudly in the direction of the acne-faced 20-something bagging our groceries, "But why does that guy have those red spots all over his face?"

We will realize that before long we'll be standing, ironing a shirt or doing some equally mundane task, and the silence will be broken by the flatulence of a two year old. As we turn to admonish gently with a, "Say excuse me," we'll instead hear, "Whoopsie, my poop just burped!"


This parent of toddlers PSA brought to you by the letter Y.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, you couldn't make this stuff up. I know I am going to miss these days, as much as they make it impossible for me to shower on a regular basis now, I'm going to miss the craziness.

Anonymous said...

Burpy poop. hahahhahahahahaha.

I'm so going to use that.

amanda said...

oh honey make it stop!!

i can't stop laughing!!

Meredith said...

Oh my, what can you do? Too funny!

Heather said...

So how do you make even passing gas sound pretty?

Amy Y said...

Oh, see, in our house with two boys, there is no longer any point in trying to get an excuse me out of them. In fact, they couldn't even hear me talk because of the laughter coming from their mouths :)

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

Don't you just love the public service announcements?

Love those girls.

Anonymous said...

Ah the joys of having children!

I too think I'll have to use the burping poop line!

Binky said...

Ha! My daughter once said her butt burped, but I think I like burping poop even better!

Crystal D said...

Bahaha! Honestly I can't stop myself from laughing when they say things like that.

Coma Girl said...

Thanks, I needed that laugh today.

BetteJo said...

Okay, that one made me laugh out loud. You just can't get enough of their perspective!

Tracee Sioux, Sioux Ink: Soul Purpose Publishing said...

Hilarious!

My kid once said, "My mouth just farted!"

karen said...

Ok, so I totally wish I'd thought of that seven years ago!

Lindsay, Tony, and Madison said...

The "poop burp" made me spit my water onto my computer...not sure how I'm going to explain that one to IT if it starts acting up now!! Too cute!

Janet said...

Indeed. Thanks for the PSA.

Kimberly said...

Love. It!

Damselfly said...

Such descriptive language! I think she will be a writer like you.

Not that you make poop jokes....

Dany said...

my mom still tells the story of when i was about two and i walked up to my grandmother and asked "grandma, why are you so fat?"
humiliating comments must just come with the territory. :)

Anonymous said...

How funny! I thought surely I was the only mother allowed sippies to get to the point that I'd rather throw them away than open them, never mind wash them...ugh!

As someone above said, you absolutely cannot make this stuff up!