Sunday, September 23, 2007

And with just a kiss...

It had to have been the seventh time I'd gone in, she'd been howling on and off all night, so bothered by the arrival of yet another set of molars. I tenderly lifted her from the crib and held her in my arms, her dark hair clung to her head in damp ringlets and her shirt was bunched around her torso. We moved to the chair and I eased myself down, the budding bump just beneath Avery's form has already begun to alter my movements, more ginger and tentative, particularly at night.

I leaned my head back as we began the familiar choreography of nursing by moonlight, her face finding its way to my breast even before my shirt is lifted. These past few weeks, whether from pregnancy or molars, the dance has been different, detached somehow. I fear she senses my fatigue and resents it. I know that I struggle with my inability to soothe, returning throughout the night only to find that the once enduring solace of our closeness is forgotten before I make it back to my own bed, and her whimpering grows stronger. It makes each trip back to her harder, and my resistance to run to her stabs at me.

This time she rubbed her palm against against my skin, faster and faster until she was almost slapping my throat as if demanding that I fix it, ease her distress. I stroked her brow and kissed the top of her head, humming the medley she requests each night - Row Row Row Your Boat, Tigger and Pooh, Einsteins and Twinkle Twinkle. Her eyelids fluttered and she sighed, a deep, leg straightening, back arching sigh, and then she relaxed, her belly pressing softly against mine. I let my own eyes close and we sat together, our breathing falling into a steady, shared rhythm.

A while later I opened my eyes and smiled at her sleeping form, it seemed as if this time it had worked, she was at peace. I stood and moved toward her crib, she lifted her head and I paused. My heart thumped against my chest as she lifted her head, I braced for the moan and cry for milk. I hated the feeling of desperation, I needed her not to cry, to turn to her crib and let me rub her back until she slipped off to sleep again, at least for a little while. And then she did it. Her head turned to me and I closed my eyes, ready to fall back into the chair.

There was no sound, just the impossibly perfect sensation of her pressing her face to mine, her lips searching out my mouth and kissing me. Thank you, mama. Thank you. And then she turned back to the crib and I lay her down, knowing that she never stopped finding comfort in my arms and at my breast. Thank you, baby. Thank you.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

15 comments:

S said...

Why do these teeth have to hurt so much when they make their entrance? What design flaw is this?

Sigh.

Hope she stays asleep tonight so you can rest.

dawn224 said...

That was lovely. They do make us feel like successful moms at moments like tat.

Chaotic Joy said...

This post brought me to tears.

We are dealing with molars here too, and Clara has seemed angry in her pain. Angry at me for not taking it away. Oh that I could.

But this post. Just beautiful.

BetteJo said...

Breastfeeding Moms ought to wear a cape because we can fix anything when we do it!

I am so glad you are enjoying the moments, even when struggling with exhaustion. It goes by so fast.

painted maypole said...

so sweet.

InTheFastLane said...

It is so hard, sometimes, to be needed so much and yet, it is so rewarding.

Angela said...

What a beautiful and touching post. You know you are her favorite and the best Mom she could ever hope for. So sweet.

Colleen @AMadisonMom said...

Sometimes I miss those late nights (not the teething, but the late night rocking and nursing)... and actually look forward to doing it again.

Amy Y said...

Oh sweet baby... Hope she's better today.

Damselfly said...

You always write so beautifully about the generous thoughts you have. I wouldn't be so generous if I had to go to my boy's room seven times in one night! ;)

Kelly said...

Oh Amanda, to be so tired, I remember it well. At least, despite their suffering and our own, they give us these little gifts to be tucked away.

Janet said...

So beautiful, these words.

We were up with The Molars last night, too. Elyse is weaned now, but your words still resonated deeply.

I needed her not to cry, to turn to her crib and let me rub her back until she slipped off to sleep again...

You're a giving mama. I wish you undisturbed sleep soon; a respite before a new little nursing wonder enters your life.

Gina said...

You have a way with writing... I love how big your mommy heart is!

I have felt this so many times: "I fear she senses my fatigue and resents it." I was up multiple times a night for 18 months and tried my hardest to savor every moment with my baby... my baby that wouldn't be one for much longer.

TheButterfly2 said...

This almost made me cry. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful--brought a tear to my eye--I so understand this. Thank you.