I am much happier with my hair than this picture might suggest. I actually skipped out of the salon today, Sean had asked me what I was going to do and I had mentioned a cut and bangs. He said, "Sure, whatever, you always says you'll do something different and you come back and it looks the same." This is true, I admit it. He usually reminds me before I go that my hair was short when he fell in love with me and that I was heavier when we met. "I love you no matter what you look like, babe. Do what feels right," and he sends me off with a kiss. This time, I really did it.
"Shoulder lenght? Longer? Above the shoulders?"
"Above the shoulders," I said, like I was some sort of spaghetti western heroine, my chin jutting out in defiance.
"And you said bangs?"
"Yes," very bold, and then, "Unless you think it would look stupid." She was nineteen if she was a day, had a nose ring, painfully teased hair and she was either chewing gum or clicking her jaw, the slippery slope of self-doubt and giving up the reins to the stylist had begun.
I couldn't tell if she meant no to the bangs or no to me looking stupid. As luck would have it, Stacie, was a pro. She snipped along, asking me every so often if the water was too hot, the shears too close, the blow dryer too strong, her sensitivity to my comfort was eerie. Sometimes it feels like they are taking their aggression out on you as nails dig into the base of your skull or those little wispy haris by your hears get caught in the comb and your eyes water. Not Stacie. And my god, as she worked the face staring back at me in the mirror looked brighter and brighter.
I was not kidding as I bubbled over with "Oh my gosh I love it" and "I had no idea, this is better than I had hoped for," she beamed in response and it felt like we were both off to a great Saturday. I grinned the whole way home and when Sean saw me his jaw dropped. "Oh my god. It's, you, wow. I can't believe you did it. It looks amazing." And the things is, I knew that, really knew that. Now, if I could get myself to do this more often (the last time was February) I think I'd really be on to something.
Shut up and let me see the hair, right?
And now for the meme tag that was waiting for me when I got home:
The delightful Hotfessional tagged me for a double whammy meme I've never done before, it is excriciatingly long so I am NOT tagging anyone.
(X) Been to Canada - Sean proposed while we were kayaking in Victoria, British Columbia.
(X) Been to Mexico - I studied in Cuernavaca, one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.
(X) Been to Florida - It was a rather inauspicious event; a theatre conference in Jacksonville. Oddly enough, it was also my first and only time in a Hooters and later a drag show.
(X) Been on a plane - I would trade every minute on a plane for an hour at the DMV, hand to god.
(X) Been lost - If I am continually lost does it cease to be "being lost" and simply become "being?"
(X) Been on the opposite side of the country - And how! I hail from the West Coast and am married to a Lake George guy. If you read back a few lines, the plane thing? We're flying West for Christmas, my palms are already sweating.
(X) Swam in the ocean - Many, actually.
(X) Cried yourself to sleep - Many times, I'm a romantic.
() Played cops and robbers - Nope.
(X) Played with a Tonka Truck - I have to believe I have.
(X) Recently colored with crayons - Pink snowflakes with purple glitter, baby..
(X) Sang karaoke - Unfortunately, yes.
() Paid for a meal with only coins - I'm a cheap date, but not that cheap.
(X) Done something you told yourself you wouldn’t? - Yes, I recently spent several mortifying hours in the ER for an infection in my finger. The thing was mostly likely caused by cuticle biting. I swore I'd never do it again, but I have.
( ) Made prank phone calls - My dorky tendencies never delivered me to this.
(X) Caught a snowflake on your tongue - Yes.
( ) Danced in the rain - I've done just about everything else in it.
(X) Written a letter to Santa Claus - Yes, and am so looking forward to doing it with the girls!
( ) Been kissed under the mistletoe - I don't think I ever have...
(X) Watched the sunrise with someone you care about - I am laughing. Every time we used to visit Sean's dad in Milford I would pop up and say, "Honey, do you want to watch the sunrise?" Not that he isn't a romantic, but I don't think he ever really wanted to, but he always did.
(X) Blown bubbles - Often. I also discovered that spit bubbles delight children to no end. Husbands? It may well be their kryptonite, Sean is so repulsed by it.
(x) Made a bonfire on the beach - A little x because I've only ever enjoyed them made by other people.
( ) Crashed a party - You all know my invitation issues.
( ) Crashed a wedding - I find that weddings incite an inappropriate and irrepressible kind of laughter in me. I avoid them whenever possible.
( ) Crashed a funeral - Seriously?
(X) Gone ice-skating - Yes, I am the frankenskater.
1. Any nicknames? Man, Mans, A. Mo
2. Mother’s name? Anne, the "e" is very important, comparable to the "h" in Slouchy's Sarah.
3. Favorite drink? Each morning's first cup of coffee, followed closely by a forbidden late afternoon coffee.
4. Any tattoos? No need for factory add ons, I like me just fine
5 Body piercing? Just the ears.
6. How much do you love your job? So much! They read this blog ;)
7. Favorite vacation spot? Vacation?
8. Ever been to Africa? No, it would involve considerable air travel.
9. Ever eaten cookies for dinner? No, breakfast maybe, dinner, no.
10. Ever been on TV? Yes.
11. Ever steal any traffic signs? Not traffic signs, but I did take a sign from a place
location stricken from the record to preserve my pristine record I lived. It was at a park/school that Sean and I would go to toss the football around. It read:
Ok, the third one wasn't really "fun," but that's what Sean and I always said.
12. Ever been in a car accident? Yes, twice. I wouldn't recommend it.
13. Drive a 2-door or 4-door vehicle? 4 Door.
14. Favorite pie? Not a pie person.
15. Favorite Number? 26
16. Favorite movie? I can never answer this. I don't think I have one, but if you set me in front of something that gets me to sit down and forget the laundry, neighbors and energy bill it'll be my favorite.
17. Favorite holiday? Christmas.
18. Favorite dessert? I think the thing I like about dessert is that it's not something you have every day, so it's different, having a favorite would make it less of a special thing, I think.
19. Favorite food? Turkey burgers with obscene amounts of mustard.
20. Favorite day of the week? Probably Friday, but I think they all have their benefits.
21. Favorite brand of body wash? Hahaha, whatever isn't empty in the shower?
22. Favorite toothpaste? I can never remember when I am staring down the massive toothpaste display. I can say I prefer gel to paste.
23. Favorite smell? The scent of coffee snaking in under the sheets as I laze in bed listening to the sounds of the girls playing while Sean putters downstairs.
24. What do you do to relax? Pre-pregnancy I'd lift weights and run, now, umm, maybe not relaxing very much.
25. Do you have a message to your friends reading this? You're still reading????
26. How do you see yourself in 10 years? The mall, walking an acceptable 30 meters behind our 13 and 12 year olds...hopefully the 9.5 year old will still hold my hand.
27. Furthest place you will send this message? I'm not planning to send it anywhere, but there are people in Bangladesh and Singapore who read this regularly
28. Who will respond the fastest? I have my suspicions, but I'll withhold comment.
Now, go treat yourself to something for having made it this far. Good grief.