Thursday, August 23, 2007

Camping, or, living without coffee

Which begs the question: is living without coffee really living?

And zip it you, handy-dandy, super campers out there who probably pack french presses or super cowboy coffee contraptions. Somewhere between the swimmies, the contact solution and the bedding I forgot to consider coffee. So as I endured spiders bigger than mini-coopers, middle-of-the-night-drunks-who created piercing auditory vomit for 6 consecutive hours between bedtime and beyond, and tried ineffectively to keep pine needles, sand and dog hair from afixing themselves permanently to the diaper rash afflicted parts of the girls, I dreamt of coffee. Hot, strong, made-by-somebody-else-and-consumed-in-civilization coffee.




Looking at this now I don't think you can truly see how desperately we needed the coffee. I should have taken it before pulling into the hallowed grounds of Starbucks.



You also cannot adequately see the tremors of joy here.



It was good. Real good. Almost good enough to make me go camping more than once every 12 months...almost.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Girlplustwo said...

big spiders and raging drunks deserve a lot more than coffee. you warrior, you.

Colleen @AMadisonMom said...

mmmmm.... Starbucks.... yum.

I don't do camping. For all of the reasons you mentioned and more. No camping. Nuh uh. No way.

Momma Bean said...

As I sit here sipping my Non-Fat Caramel Macchiato, I thank the stars that I have not one ounce of desire to brave the wild. But that open fire has s'mores written all over it...

Anonymous said...

We are big on camping. Which means I keep a can of instant Vanilla Cappucino in my car at all times. You would be amazed at how many non-camping situations this can has saved my snooze-button loving self. I say saved and I mean it. Saved.

Janet said...

This one time? At camping? My husband packed the coffee. Despite the fact that I consumed, two, maybe three cups of that coffee each morning, I developed a splitting headache each day by 1:00 p.m.

On the last day, he admitted that he had packed decaffeinated coffee by mistake. I'm still mad.

painted maypole said...

I am not a coffee person, but I am addicted to caffeine via Coke Zero (which is easy to pack in convenient cans! It can even be consumed warm when in a bind)

karla said...

I could not imagine waking up without a hot pot of coffee nearby. Therefore, those tremors of joy? I can totally see them.