Monday, January 21, 2008

Tomorrow

It's a simple word, really. A chance to delay, a fresh start, the next thing. What I forget sometimes is that it isn't a promise. Today I have. Today I am here, but tomorrow, that's not yet mine. It's funny because I spend so much of my time dreaming about tomorrow, fretting about it, and yet I rarely worry whether it will come or whether I will be there to meet it.

Whymommy has got a big day tomorrow. Today I am writing for her. Susan, who graciously shared her name with us, after she invited us into her life, is having surgery, a double mastectomy, to be exact.



She has two children, an adoring husband and brilliant mind. I am thinking of her as I type this, remembering the emotions I have felt as I've read her words and the ferocity with which I have lived when considering being in her shoes. You can put a fuzzy lens on it, but the truth is she has been in the fight of her life while raising two exquisitely gorgeous little creatures and coming to terms with an inability to do it all.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I've clicked over to her blog in fear that she wouldn't be there, that a guest would be posting in her name, but each day she has come. Weary and blue at times, but more often than not she has been an unwavering light forcing its way into every corner. Susan has changed the world, beating this beast of a disease back for more tomorrows then it ever thought she'd get.

Tomorrow there will be so many of us standing once again in awe of her courage and strength. Tomorrow, as I have done today and on so many yesterdays, I will pray that Whymommy get all of the tomorrows she so richly deserves.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

Lisa said...

She is in my prayers as well. Every Mom deserves to watch her children grow up. I pray Susan gets what she deserves.

flutter said...

amen love.

Colleen @AMadisonMom said...

A beautiful post. It is amazing what Susan has accomplished... for herself... and for so many woman who have been helped by her.

Anonymous said...

yes, my darling friend. All of us on Team WhyMommy.

Marty, a.k.a. canape said...

She has changed the world, hasn't she?

Rachel said...

Wow.
So many prayers for her.
Beautiful post.

cce said...

You and Slouchy have introduced me to Susan and her fight today. I've already been over to WhyMommy to offer her my paltry words of encouragement. It'll never be enough, but thinking of Susan today.

Janet said...

I stopped by yesterday to wish Susan well. There is a veritable army of people thinking of her and sending her prayers and good thoughts. My inner optimist thinks that has to count for something.

Girlplustwo said...

we all are today.

Amy said...

Beautiful. So many prayers being said for her. God bless.

Kimberly said...

Lovely. Sending prayers her way.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.