Saturday, December 02, 2006

Crawling & Complete Sentences

Once again our girls have shifted into overdrive.One is spitting mad about not being able to crawl and I swear she is just going to pop up like a water skier one of these days and say, "Screw it, I'm walking. And I am taking the remote with me!" And the other, well damn, she has just graduated to knowing when I am faking.

We were in the car and she said something and I totally didn't catch it so I said, "Sure, honey. And soon we'll hear the song." She looked at me, cocking her head to the side like a puppy, and cracked a smile that so clearly said, "You haven't got a clue what I just said," that I literally blushed. I blushed for pete's sake. It was like the time when I was like 8 and I tried to make a joint with my best friend Cheri out of toilet paper, Lipton Tea and catnip (that so didn't work and burned way faster than I expected.) and my mom came home.

"What is that smell, Amanda? Did something burn?"

"Huh?"

"Did something catch fire?"

"Oh, mom.That is so weird how you knew that. Cheri and I were playing store and we went to wash a pie dish in the bathroom and a roll of toilet paper spawn-tay-nee-us-lee combusted. It was really scary but we blew it out. Can we go out back and play?"

It was so lame. I knew it. She knew it. I blushed and I think she probably held a snort in until I was out of earshot.

So now, nearly 25 years later I have a 2 year old giving me the same "I can totally see through you" look. Oy.

I'd just like to take a minute. Can I just have a little more time with the infant and toddler I had yesterday? Do they have to move so fast into toddler and little girl? I'll watch the princess thing again. I'll watch it a dozen times if I can just hold this moment in time for a bit longer. Let's wait a little longer for tomorrow to come.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: